Thursday, February 24, 2011

Top 10 Reasons Why I Run by Bethany

Finishing the 2nd leg of the Spokane Marathon Relay 2010

10)  Cheap & Easy: While I love doing the tris, I love the fact that for running all I need are my shoes.  I don’t need goggles, swim cap, earplugs, nose plugs, a bike, helmet, clipless pedals, special shoes, patch kit, pump, the list goes on and on…  I am tired just thinking of all of the things I have to do to prep my bike and everything I need bring with me for a ride or a swim.

9) Shirts: Why lie. But they have to be dry wick and they have to be cute!


8) The Finish Line: It is the most amazing feeling in the world to finish your first running race or triathlon. I never thought I would compete in a triathlon and run a marathon. I just thought I wasn’t a runner. It is amazing what you can accomplish when you start to believe in yourself. I am happy to say that this is flowing into my personal and professional life as well.

7) Healthy Weight: Yay for muscles! I want to be an Athleta model!

6) Peace & Quiet: While I usually like running with friends, I still enjoy the occasional run on my own. Often I choose to leave the I pod at home and just listen to the sounds all around me. It is amazing what sights and sounds I have seen and heard; it is like nature is putting on a show just for me. There was a time when I lived and breathed nature: camping, fishing, and hiking deep in the woods to find adventure. One thing that a lot of people don’t know about me is that if I could choose another life I would probably be a hermit living in the woods or on a beach somewhere (preferably Kauai) but then reality hits and I know I wouldn’t even last a day; I have a tough time killing spiders, let alone wild game for dinner (yes, I am one of those freaks that carries spiders and bugs outside).

5) Strong, Beautiful, & Healthy: Running makes me feel all three of these things. It makes me want to be a better person in all areas of my life.

4) Goals & Sense of Accomplishment: Setting goals and reaching them – even if when it seems nearly impossible - this is what keeps me going most days, especially right now when I feel like every training counts!

3) Friends: What would I do without my runner friends?!!! The most amazing and inspiring women I have ever met in my life! Most of them are busy working moms that still find time to fit in their training, even if it means getting up at "the butt crack of dawn"! – quote from Mirna

Leavenworth Half Marathon October 2010

2) Food & Drink: Dark Chocolate, Kona Brewing Co. Pipeline Porter, Starbuck’s Cinnamon Dolce Latte, Wine, and GOOD food.

And the number one reason I run…

1) ENDORPHINS: Definitely my drug of choice. Sanity. Health. Well-being. Not only for me, but for my family as well. They don’t have to deal with a grouchy mom and I am setting a good example for my little guy – he already runs his "laps" around the house each night! And my husband will be competing in his first race (besides Bloomsday, of course) this summer: The Warrior Dash.

Shanna and I after the Seattle Rock N Roll Half Marathon June 2010

1 comment:

  1. I love the list! And killer action shot in the first picture. We need more action shots :) Love your post!

    ReplyDelete