Sunday, February 6, 2011

Early Morning Run (by Ashley)




I am not a morning person.  I never have been, and I'm afraid I never will be.  However, with this marathon training, my training buddies and I have chosen Saturday mornings at 7:00 to be our weekly long run time. There is nothing right about getting up at 6:00 am on a Saturday, but I am learning to do so.  I have always wanted to be that mom who gets up before the rest of the house comes to life, sneaks out to get in a morning run, and returns just in time for a solitary cup of chai tea before the morning chaos begins.

However.......... I am not that mom.



Instead, my idea of a morning run would begin about 9:30 or 10:00 after I have had a chance to wake up, eat breakfast, check my email, send the girls off to school, dink around the house for a bit,  check my email again, dink around the house some more, and then head out once the mood strikes.  The problem with this line of thinking though is that the "mood" doesn't always strike, and then I spend the rest of the day trying to talk myself into an afternoon run or an early evening run, meanwhile, the day just keeps slipping away from me and a run may not end up happening at all.  Thank goodness for my running buddies though because now on these early morning runs, I just have to get up and go.  I don't have time to wake up.  I don't have time to check my email.  I don't have time to dink around the house.  And I definitely don't have time for the "mood" to strike.

But, guess what..... it always does.

And when we arrived this morning at the trail and I saw the beautiful sunrise, I thought to myself, "this morning stuff isn't all that bad".  So who knows, I might just get hooked on this morning run thing and try it all by myself one of these days!  That's what a real runner would do!

No comments:

Post a Comment