Monday, April 4, 2011

Week 10 Complete - 36 Miles!

Centennial Trail heading west - near milepost 17 (I think!)
Week 10 is done and in the books as they say. We all completed our longest run to date, yet again. This week, it was 18 miles.
Mirna and I did this mere jaunt on Friday evening after work, taking us 3:04:34. We finished in total darkness. Mentally, very tough. Physically, also very tough. I was SO sore afterward and just plain tired and cold. We emailed our other mamas and gave them the scoop on the route. They were going to try and mimic what what we had done. To recap: we departed from Mission Park and headed out east on the Centennial Trail. When we had gone 6 miles, we reached Mirna's car at the Argonne Library and grabbed some water and nutrition. We then went another 3 miles east to Plantes Ferry Park and turned around and headed back to Mirna's car for more H2O, nutrition and some long sleeves. The final 6 miles were done heading west back to my car at Mission Park.
The next morning, Ashley, Bethany, and Sarah did the same route, though unfortunately, the dry weather we had Friday night had moved on and they were hit with some precip. From what we heard, not fun to run with sleet hitting you in the face. Drat! They did vary their route slightly from ours - we had ventured a little off the trail and ended up doing our turnaround at Plantes Ferry Park. They stayed right on the trail and missed quite a landmark!

It's a time capsule...so it says...













I don't know how everyone else REALLY felt after, but like I said, I was pretty darn worn out. We upped our long run from 15 last week to 18 and I could feel it. I was glad we were done in the evening so I could just eat and then go to bed. I did wake up at midnight for water and started to have a minor freak out session - wondering why in the heck I was attempting to do something so ludicrous as running a marathon - and giving myself complete doubt that I will be able to finish any runs longer than 18. After a full night of sleep though, I was over it.

Hopefully everyone got a lot of rest over the weekend as we'll have our longest training run coming up Saturday, April 9 - none too fun I am sure. Look out 22 miles, here we come!


Mirna and Andrea after our run
 ~ posted by Andrea

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe we started in sunshine yet finished in rain! Loving the landmarks Andrea! We have been training for over two months. So proud of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the phallic symbol! hehe maybe it was funnier when we were delirious from running but we HAD to take a picture of it! (actually it's a centennial Time Capsule) You missed out on this awesome statue!

    ReplyDelete