Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Spring Break Treadmill

GREETINGS FROM ISLAND PARK, IDAHO!

Note how big the snow berms are?!
For Spring Break, we are in Island Park, Idaho which is almost 30 miles southwest of West Yellowstone. Our good friend has a time share and invited us to come along. Eager for a get-away we are enjoying our time at the Island Park Village Resort.

So, where's the Island???!
However, again this week our training program requires three short runs (5 miles, 8 miles, and 5 miles). I thought I was done having to run in the snow this winter, but once again I donned on my winter running gear and hit the pavement...err...snow. I'm sure the locals thought I was insane as I ran alongside the state roads to complete the necessary mileage in 25 degree weather with snow falling. Thank goodness Spokane winters have prepared me for this! I didn't real see much traffic as I ran, the occasional pick up truck and a few snow mobiles.


I took a picture near my turnaround for my 8 miler; it was quiet and peaceful. It made me think of Robert Frost's poem "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference..."

Some days I know that if it weren't for my training program, I probably would have vegged out by the fireplace with a glass of wine and skipped my workout. But then again, if it weren't for my training program, I wouldn't get to truly "experience" Island Park, Idaho and enjoy the solitude of running, nor the beautiful scenery I observed during my runs. So instead I sit by the fireplace AFTER my workout with a hot cup of coffee and a good book. Hoping the other ladies have good runs this week as well!

-Posted by Mirna

No comments:

Post a Comment