Sunday, April 10, 2011

22 Miler-Longest run yet!



Today Ashley and I ran our 22 miles.  We chose to run Sunday instead of Saturday due to a fundraising event for Autism that Ashley attended on Friday that went late into the evening.  We decided to meet later in the am, mostly because I thought it would give me more time with my family that am.  I quickly realized that this may have not been the best plan for me.  I waited all morning in anticipation and kept getting more nervous as the run drew nearer.  To me, this run would determine if I was truly ready and able to complete 26.2 miles.

The morning was gray and threatened rain; not encouraging. We ran the first leg and felt good. After a pit stop at Mirabeau, we met up with Ashley's husband and sister and were very entertained by them; Jonathan on roller blades being goofy and almost falling several times, and Carmen almost riding over the edge of the trail (wasn't hurt and was laughing afterwards, luckily). After we turned around it felt good to know that were halfway done, but then it hit me: WE STILL HAD 11 MILES LEFT!

I was beat from a rough work week and struggled with this run mentally. I was also getting very sick of the rain and bad weather ("bad" is not the first word I chose to write). I seem to always catch the bad weather; snow, rain, sleet, wind, hail, you name it, I have run in it! With this training I have run miles and miles soaking wet with cold and stiff muscles, and am so ready for spring and nice weather. Ashley and I tried to reflect postively; "This is going to make us stronger and tougher for race day!" and "We are going to have perfect weather on race day!"


So when Mirna showed up at the end to run the last three miles with us, it really saved us mentally-we would still be out there crawling home if she hadn't shown up! Seriously though, it was such an encouragement to us. While my knees and hips ached, I sucked it up and finished. And what an accomplishment! We did it! I now know that I will finish this marathon, that it IS really possible.

-posted by Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment