Monday, January 31, 2011

Running...It's cheaper than therapy. (Why I Run-by Mirna)

My personal running journey did not begin until after I became a mom. Before having my daughter (who is now 2) I was at a healthy weight, ate what I wanted, hardly ever exercised, and the only official run I ever did was the annual Spokane 12K Bloomsday http://www.bloomsday.org/
However after having Isabella, I had an extra 35 pounds that just wouldn't go away! Nine months later and I could no longer call it "baby weight", considering I still hardly exercised and ate whatever I wanted.
This is me in Spring of 2009 with my beautiful daughter. However, I'm overweight and overtired from being a new mom and back to working full time.
That's when I joined Moms in Motion http://www.momsinmotion.com/  I became active first by joining the summer tri team, participating in Valley Girl Tri, and meeting many amazing women who inspired me to become more active.

I also joined Weight Watchers which taught me about nutrition, meal planning, and portion control. I met my WW goal just in time for my daughter's 2nd birthday, and since September have maintained my weight. I am a proud Lifetime WW member.
I never thought I would do sprint triathlons (I've done 4), never thought I would run a half marathon (I've done 3), and participate in numbers fun runs racing from 5k to 10 milers. I'm frickin' scared about running a marathon! But I love being active.
So I've created...

 Top 10 List On Why I Run
  1. Keep Weight Off-(see above) I am proud of recieving that key and am determined not to get back to where I was before.
  2. Stress Relief-being a full time working mom, and managing an active, joyful child can be quite exhausting. So Saturday mornings with my running ladies is THERAPY!
  3. Music-I have bought MP3 players, IPODS, etc. but my favorite thing to listen to is Pandora. My current station is...Britney Spears (don't judge me!) I just love the upbeat music, and the surprise of what will play next! It can range from Shakira, to Rhianna, to Eminem. I'm not picky about music, I just like something with a quick beat to keep my pace up.
  4. Skorts-Greatest invention EVER! I hate shorts,but love, love, love running skirts.They are comfortable, minimize chaffing, and make me feel  girly!                                                                                                 
  5. Shoes-I honestly think shoes make all the difference in the word! Others may disagree. I bought an inappropriately fitting pair of shoes last spring after being talked into changing brand and style at a local shoe store. Word of Advice, if you find a good pair, stay with that brand and style. I developed horrible shin splints! But, thanks to my awesome Moms in Motion Coach Kirsten DeHart (who was also my PT), I switched to a different pair of shoes back in May and have trained and ran two 1/2 marathons without any injuries or issues.
  6. Medals-Nothing is more satisfying than the feel of the medal around my neck after a race. My favorite one is the one from Leavenworth, which served as a bottle opener too! It's pretty and functional!
  7. Finisher Shirts-I am a race whore. I will sign up for any local race or fun run if they have cute shirts-but they have to be dry wick shirts. Granted I will still do the race even if they have regular t-shirts, but chances are I will never wear that shirt again.
  8. My Phone-I love my Droid phone and it's apps. I use Pandora to listen to music, Sports Tracker to track my runs/speed/distance, and love being able to take pictures of races with it's camera. Others love their I Phone, I love my Droid.
  9. 
    *Note the awesome running jacket
    (Me, Andrea and Ashley)
    Accessories-I love the accessories that come with running, from certain socks, running belts, running hats, and running clothes. But my favorite running accessory is my running jacket. It was a Christmas Present from my dad. Not only is it blinding bright yellow and waterproof, but it can covert from long sleeves to a vest! Now that is AWESOME!     
  10. Running family-I have met many amazing women runners since becoming a mom. I met my Spokane Marathon Mamas in the Summer of 2009, and since then we have run hundreds of miles together. I don't just consider them friends, but my running family. I'm very excited to share this running journey with them! 
So that is why I run...it's much cheaper than therapy!
Part of my running family (sorry Ashley and Bethany but I had to post this!)



3 comments:

  1. You've come a long way, baby!!! Great job, Mirna!!! The journey has only begun. Looking forward to cheering you on at the finish line!-Debbie French

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post, mirna! i got all teary- eyed when you referred to us as you "running family"! that is what we are becoming, huh? and it will be even more intensified as we run hundreds and hundreds of more miles together! thanks for spear heading this journey! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the list of reasons, Mirna. The medals sound especially fun! :D

    ReplyDelete