Sunday, January 30, 2011

One Run at a Time (Ashley reporting here)

When I look at the training schedule, I am overwhelmed.  It is daunting to see how many weeks of training there are, how many miles will be logged, how many hours will be consumed, how many muscles will ache, etc  I seriously get a pit in my stomach when I try to process what the next 16 weeks of my life will look like. I start to doubt my decision to even attempt this thing.  I play mind games and beat myself up about it.  I go into negative self-talk mode......  and it's all because I'm staring at a little piece of paper that has a few weeks worth of runs written on it.  Crazy, I know.

I can't allow that to happen, and I won't allow that to happen. I want this thing!  I want 16 weeks of training like I've never trained before. I want those hours and hours of transforming my mind, body, and spirit. I even want the muscle aches and pains. And furthermore, I want the badges of honor - the race medal hanging around my neck and that cute little oval shaped bumper sticker with a 26.2 on it!

So, my plan of attack ~  I'm taking one run at a time.  Literally.  I folded up my training schedule so I can only see one week at a time, and after each run, I highlight the run once it's complete.  So on Monday, I had one square highlighted, on Wednesday, I had two squares highlighted, on Thursday, I had three squares highlighted, and as of today, I actually have FOUR  squares highlighted and guess what?

I don't feel quite as overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment