Sunday, March 13, 2011

Week 7 in Hawaii


Andrea after first 4-miler of the week
 Hi Friends,

Finally getting a chance to post on my training runs for week 7 in beautiful Hawaii! I had some fun training outings and each of my three runs this week was completely different.

For my first run of the week, my husband Greg and I switched off so each of us could stay with the kids while the other was running. I had a very nice, easy 4 mile run - I didn't go until about 11 and you can see it was warm and sunny!

My second run was scheduled as a 6-miler. It had been raining hard off and on and I found a break in the weather and headed out. There were massive puddle-type lakes across many of the roadways and I had to maneuver around them throughout my run. I had a loop in mind that I was going to do and was out about 3 1/2 miles and the loop wasn't turning back yet so I figured I better turn around or I would go too far. Right about the time I decided to turn back, a HUGE downpour began. I was completely soaked from head to toe - it was as if I had just gotten out of the pool! I have never been that wet from the rain before - EVER! And I was 3 1/2 miles from home. The rain continued and I managed to make it back...nothing like a squishy run in water-logged shoes! I ended up doing about 6.8 miles. I don't know if you can tell how wet I am from the photos, but maybe check out the small lake in the street behind me (can you see the rain hitting it?)

The last day we were there, Thursday the 10th, I thought it would be great to do my last Hawaii run as a barefoot beach run. (Having shoes that were still sopping wet helped make that decision!) My husband and I headed out just before sunset and had the best run yet. The beach was beautiful and the waves were rolling in...it was so enjoyable. We ended up doing 3 miles and it was just perfect. We couldn't have asked for a better location for our final run and we said our goodbyes to the sand and surf. 

The next 24 hours were total chaos...we were packing and then the tsunami warning alarms went off - we had to evacuate! Our family finished packing, threw everything in the car as if we weren't coming back and drove out into the night searching for a place to park on higher ground. We all ended up sleeping in our cars, which there really wasn't much sleeping. It wasn't very fun but we did get the go ahead to return to our home at 8am the next day. We went back to our house, ate and cleaned up, made sure our bags were ready for the airplane and then headed for home. Thankfully our flight was not cancelled and we made it home just before midnight on Friday night. I was worried we wouldn't get back for me to do our 12 mile run on Saturday (sounds crazy, I know!) but we made it and I was glad to see my marathon mamas!! 

My Hawaii treadmill!!


No comments:

Post a Comment